Dealing with disappointment? In our latest blog post, Rev. Andy Humm, Vicar at St George & St Paul, Tiverton, shares how we can find encouragement and hope in scripture.
Many decisions are made every day – some affect us directly, others less so. Decisions about conflicts and war, decisions about finances and futures, decisions around theology and church practice. I am saddened by some of these decisions and I recognise some of you will feel the same around some things and others will feel differently – however, in the midst of all of this; I believe the words below from Rev Daniel Kirk are helpful for all of us at this time "as we recognise there are personal crises, ecclesiological [church] crises, family crises and global crises that are draining us. Even in a 'normal' season, it isn't hard to make a list of all the things we're desperate for, sad about and feel bereft of. But, the fact is, with all due regard to eschatological [Last days] tensions, now-not yet paradigms and waiting-in-hope realities, the Scripture has promised us a fullness, an overflowing-ness, and an abundance in all things. While we have the Shepherd, we will lack nothing." This is because, words from the Bible tell us…
1. All things belong to you in Christ: ‘So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours...’1 Corinthians 3:21
2. God promises you all the things you need at all times for all good work: 'And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.' 2 Corinthians 9:8
3. God gives you all things for sanctification and life: 'His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence.' 2 Peter 1:3
4. God works for your good in all things: 'And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.' Romans 8:28
5. You are more than a conqueror in all things: 'No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.' Romans 8:37
6. Jesus has told you all the things you need to know by his Spirit in the Scripture: 'But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.' John 14:26
7. You have the hope that all things will be made new and perfect: 'And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."' Revelation 21:5
Whatever you are feeling, hear these promises from the Bible and enjoy lacking nothing from Christ today.
Every blessing Andy (Vicar)